To kick off The Friendship Series, let’s take a look our mutual friend: God. We need to discover God as our best friend. Any good qualities that a friend should have, God has it. Plus, you won’t find any bad characteristics in God. He’s the ultimate friend. In John 15:15, Jesus shows his views on the matter:
I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.
“Instead, I have called you friends.” God wants to be our friend. Here are some examples:
- Who’s the first person you tell when something good or bad happens in your life? “My best friend” is probably your answer. God wants to be that in your life. He wants to be the One you turn to, in both good times and bad.
- God wants to be our Rock, our Fortress, our Strength. He wants to hold our hand when we walk through choppy waters. Even when we feel like we’re the only one in the boat during the storm, He’s there to protect us.
- God is serious about this. His friendship isn’t a “limited time offer”. He is always waiting for us with open arms. The truth is, we can’t earn His friendship, but he’s offered it to us regardless. All we have to do is accept!
God is a Friend that will never leave us, who loves us with an everlasting, never-ending love. And we need to understand that no matter what relationships we forge throughout our lives, our friendship with God will always be the most important.
More from The Friendship Series:
- The Friendship Series
- A Cheerful Heart
- Different “Faces”, Different Places
- The Importance Of Friendship